A couple of random bits about end-of-year awards.
1. My awards days are informal, so we feature some serious awards and some funny awards, superlative style. No one knows your kiddos like you do. If you go the superlative route, make sure no one is going to leave with hurt feelings. After all, this is supposed to be FUN, but not embarrassing.
2. *Personal soapbox ahead. If you don't like soap, hit the bypass!!** I don't care for the 'everyone gets an award just because' type of events. I have attended these types of events and it feels fake, forced, and devalues the whole point of getting an award. First of all, in life everyone does not get an award. Secondly, done wrong, this direction can lead to more harm than good. If awards are meant to be valuable and exclusive, giving everyone an award just for showing up diminishes the value.
With all of that said, here is a list of 28 fun, cool, awesome awards to consider for the end of the year! Scroll all the way to the bottom for your voting ballot and teacher cheat sheet *Freebie*
1. Most likely to take music class selfies
2. G.O.A.T Award: awarded to best piano player/singer/percussionist, etc.
3. Mr. & Miss Congeniality
4. Office Max Award: student who always has paper and pencil to lend out to others (throw in a pack of paper and pencils along with a certificate!)
5. Loudest Student
6. Lisa Frank Award: most likely to blog about kittens, rainbows, and unicorns
7. Clean Plate Award: student always trying to eat in class
--The following awards are candy themed, so thrown in some sweet treats!--
8. Snicker Award: student with the most unique laugh
9. Jolly Rancher Award: student always telling jokes or making others laugh
10. Mounds Award: student always having 'mounds' of fun
11. Lifesaver Award: student always willing to help others
12. Mint Award: for the student 'mint' for greatness
13. Starburst Award: for the student who is destined to be a star
14. 100 Grand Award / PayDay Award: for the student most likely to appear on a music reality show
15. The Whopper Award: for the student who always has a story to tell
Awards Given By The Teacher
16. Early Bird Award: student who usually arrives to class first (throw in some gummy worms because the early bird...well...you know!!)
17. Club 100: students who maintain a 99-100 GPA for the entire school year in music class
18. Repeat Offender: students who have spent multiple years in a class/ensemble OR in more than one ensemble (I had several 'repeat offenders' this year who were enrolled in both my piano and chorus class)
19. Senior Citizen Award: award given to graduating seniors
20. Rookie of the Year: awarded to an outstanding freshman OR first-year ensemble student
21. Survivor Award: student who stuck with it when it got hard (musically, academically, or personally)
22. Most Improved Musician
23. Always on Time: students with no (or very few) tardies
24. Section Leaders
25. Attendance Awards
26. Excellence in Musicianship/Sight-reading/Sight-singing
27. Participation in a special event, such as a volunteer performance or community service.
28. Mid-State/All-State/Solo/Ensemble performers